Wednesday, February 12, 2014

For My Alfredo-Loving Friends

I Can't Live Without Cheese!
(Oh, yes, you can...)

For many people I know, cheese is what stands between them and a fully vegan way of eating (WOE). Once I learned that cheese and other dairy products have the same inflammatory effect on my body as meat, I was willing to give them up. In other words, doing nutrition research helped me to talk myself through this issue. So you have to trust this process of eliminating foods that wreck havoc on our systems (including causing swelling) and give yourself a chance to see what it feels like to go cheese-free and more specifically, dairy-free. One recipe that helped me was Mary McDougall's Baked Penne Florentine. It is a good substitute for pasta with Alfredo sauce. It does take a bit of time to put together, but it is a very satisfying main dish. Click here for a printable recipe: Baked Penne Florentine recipe
Getting used to life without cheese is something that can be done. If you think of it as "pure fat" (which is really is), it is much easier to give up. Becoming a healthy vegan means more than giving up meat, eggs, and dairy. It is really necessary to limit your fat intake as much as possible. Here is a link to one more alfredo recipe that uses tofu. I haven't tried this one but it looks yummy: Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo

No comments:

Post a Comment