Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Mujadara (Lentils & Rice with Caramelized Onions)

Making One of My Favorite Recipes: Mujadara
Inspired by My Friend Slomit Antopolski
Pictured Above: Mujadara (Lentils & Rice with Caramelized Onions)
Pictured above: Shlomit Antopolski 
This week I spent time with my friend Shlomit Antopolski. She is originally from Israel and is quite a talented cook. I asked her to teach me how to make some classic Mediterranean dishes. Prior to my time with her, I was not "brave enough" to attempt most of them. I had one botched attempt at baba ghanoush, so I kind of lost my courage.  Shlomit made every recipe seem "do-able." I took notes as she explained everything, from how to select the vegetables to how to know when things were "done." I learned how to make tabouli, baba ghanoush, tahini, and mujadara. Mujadara is a Middle Eastern dish that mostly consists of lentils, rice and onions. The flavors and textures combine to make an interesting dish that is very versatile to serve and enjoy. It is great hot, warm, or at room temperature. It can be a main dish, side dish, part of a mixed platter, served in a pita, or spooned on top of a salad. The suggested garnishes (lemon juice, toasted pine nuts, cilantro, and/or chopped tomatoes) add more variety to an already satisfying dish. I am so pleased that a previously "only something I could get at a restaurant" dish has now become something I can make in about 45 minutes. Another great bonus is that I made this entire recipe (that makes 6 large servings) for about $2.50! When I order this at a restaurant it costs around $10 (for one large serving). You do the math! How is that for a great deal?
So I want to say "thank you" to my dear friend, Shlomit, once again for the time we spent together in her kitchen. She made Mediterranean cooking seem easy. I know I will need to practice and experiment, but she helped give me the confidence I needed to attempt Middle Eastern cooking. I am looking forward to learning more!
This recipe has added suggestions and modifications from recipes that I found online. If you follow our simple recipe, you can be successful at making mujadara on your first attempt--just like I was! Click here for a printable recipe: Mujadara (Lentils & Rice w/Caramelized Onions).

No comments:

Post a Comment